Old 04-14-24, 10:43 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4881 Post(s)
Liked 4,044 Times in 2,622 Posts
The King cages in either stainless steel of titanium. Simply very good cages. Their basic cages are patterned after the TA cages that probably started in the 1960s and were probably the most popular cages of the 1970s among racers. Popular because they did one thing very well - hold the WB in place. That includes down any hill of any speed and any road surface. (As pointed out above, if they ever didn't meet that criteria, you simply pushed the cage a little more closed.)

I used the TAs for nearly 40 years with many cages going 20 years. Around 2000 I started replacing them with Kings. All of those Kings are still in service (along with a TA or two). Those cages are what I call "rider cages". Their sole function is to support the rider; providing an easy to grab water bottle that is easy to put away securely. (And if you focused on the ride and not the bottle put-back - well you might stuff that bottle into the cage crooked but it's still going to be there 20 miles later when you reach down. And (sadly if appearance means a lot to you) just as crooked as you put it in.)

Another plus - King is a small US outfit. Low key, down to earth and passionate about making really good cages. Fun people to meet at bike happenings.
Likes For 79pmooney: