Old 04-14-24, 12:25 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Thousands of recreational riders turn out for the cycling events in the Greenville area. I have multiple friends that come from Florida specifically to ride in the Greenville area.
This statement illustrates my point exactly. Cycling EVENTS generally have special coordination, advertising, logistics, and sag wagons. Large groups have a "presence" on roadways that individuals do not.

This FB Group (below) was suggested to me. The Winter Bike League. "Amateurs". Experienced looking dudes. There is a VAN blocking traffic for them in one of the only photos I could find. They are ADVERTISING the protection afforded by at least one vehicle behind them. Look at the "Point Standings" TWENTY riders have any points, three of whom attest to being "Amateurs". 678 people interested, 20 actually involved regularly. Metro Greenville has a population of 540,000 people. Camaraderie, sag wagons, and vehicle protections draw TWENTY people. Look, I'm not trying to be a d**k here, but other than a few roadies (not derogatory, I was one for 50 years) who have strength, skills, and quality bicycles at their disposal, there are very very few cyclists on Greenville roadways. I agree, the trails are awesome. I would agree that people from all over would love this place for organized cycling events, no doubt.

The number I am interested in finding out likely does not exist: How many local cyclists, who LIVE in this beautiful place, push their bikes out of their front door (or garage) and ride it ANYWHERE? Of those 20 hardcore winter cyclists, how many rode their bikes to the meeting spot? How many ride their bikes from their homes to ANYWHERE? Corner store? Pub? A friend's house? A local festival? With their spouse and children in tow? Of those 540,000 people who populate this area, I would bet money that the answer to my question is a statistical zero.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Likes For JoeyBike: