View Single Post
Old 04-15-24, 03:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8378 Post(s)
Liked 9,255 Times in 4,550 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Forekaster/Rekon F/R seems to be a popular combo for the terrain around here. I just think that the DHF/Aggressor is just way too much tire for the kind of riding I do. And from what I hear the DHF is one of the slowest rolling tires out there. I don't want to go really shallow tread or thin casings since there's a lot of roots and rocks where I ride, but it would be nice to shave a few hundred grams off the wheels if possible. I do know that I absolutely despise riding the bike on anything other than singletrack and the tires that are on it I'm sure contribute a lot to that.
It's never going to feel like a road bike. I know you know this but I have the same thought when I ride the mtb on pavement or super smooth dirt. My bike came with 27.5 x 2.8 Rekons. They are 850 grams, or more, and I run low pressure. I think about putting something faster on, but what? Anything dirt worthy is going to weigh close to that, I think.
Plus, if I did find a lighter, smaller tire I would be worried about losing the grip and durability of the Rekons. And the bike is 32+pounds and I'm 200.

Maxxis has a lot of info on their website and you can compare their tires against each other. There are so many different ones I write the model number down so if I see something on sale I can be sure which one it is.

I've used Maxxis road tires and was pretty happy with them but prefer GP 5000s.