View Single Post
Old 04-16-24, 09:45 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5052 Post(s)
Liked 8,320 Times in 3,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
My gravel bike is currently running 42mm S-works Pathfinder Pros. I was aiming for a fast rolling set up with these and it does that well...these are a really great set up for light gravel or a gravel/road mix. In the future, I might set up another wheel set with 2.0" XC MTB tires...more specifically, the Continental Race Kings(if they'll actually fit.) Not to get too nerdy but, these tires test faster than most gravel tires on the rolling resistance website...I run the 2.2" version on my XC bike and can confirm that they are fast, but with better traction.
I was really hoping that 2.1 Thunder Burts would fit in my frame. They roll surprisingly well (BRR data backs it up). Thicc tire pimp, Dylan Johnson, ran 2.2 Race Kings at the recent Midsouth race. Adam Roberge ran Pirelli H 50s at BWR Utah. Other pro gravel racers I follow are moving incrementally wider. This is the stuff that has me interested to try Thundero 48s on my bike. BRR data indicates only a small penalty in Crr over the Thundero 40s, and the extra cushion is likely to be faster over rough terrain.