View Single Post
Old 04-16-24, 12:17 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by SDHawk
I believe FB allows links, though it's possible they would block CL...dunno. However, I think a lot of people wouldn't click the link.

Imo you'd have better results if you copy/pasted the CL ad text and added pics to the actual FB ad.
Oh, I would definitely have her replicate the complete ad on FBM, using my ad copy and photos. But there'd be no way for FB'ers to anonymously contact me; that's where the CL link would come in. CL uses anonymous/burner Email addressing. I assume most FBM communication is by FB DM. I suppose I could have my friend send any inquirers the CL link by DM.

Originally Posted by slow rollin
I buy stuff on FB and offerup mostly. Craigslist I sometimes search but there are hundreds of flipped bikes and I don't need to look at them.
Last two bikes were from offerup, however I have been getting the run around with bike parts.
>yo meet me at x
>I meant y
>the dirt field at y-1+x
IDK what it is.
I have learned if they don't give me an exact address.... games will be played.

Have had better luck on facebook.
Originally Posted by soyabean
Sellers sometimes don't give out addresses because they're afraid of getting stalked assaulted butthurt kidnapped killed, and thus such folks should NOT be selling to strangers at all and just donate their stuff to goodwill.

Usually I really want whatever they are selling, so yes it can be all games with these sellers and I have to make the call how far I want to put up with their wokeness.
I NEVER sell from home. I VERY rarely sell to the buyer's home. My ads always end with "Cash only. We can meet in a public place (blah blah)....." So far that's served me well, and safely, even in the dead of winter. That's not "woke" (I'm far from that, but I digress..), it's just safe in the modern real world. And anything I sell is (sorry not sorry) too nice for Goodwill; they'd sell my $200 bike for $50.

When buying, I leave the location up to the seller. If it isn't clear or seems hinky, I pass.

Originally Posted by RustyJames
What I do as a BUYER on Marketplace, OfferUp, etc.;
- I don’t use the formatted “is this available” or whatever template is offered. I ask specific questions about things not mentioned in the ad.
- I don’t make offers until I see the item in person.
- I suggest meeting at a halfway point or place familiar to both of us if distance is reasonable.
- If the price is reasonable to start with I might make a slightly lower offer but I’m prepared to pay full price.
- If all goes well I leave the seller a 5-star review.
- If I’m running late I let the seller know.
- I let the seller know I’ll be driving a white F-150 or whatever vehicle I’m in.

Poor communication is a red flag whether I’m buying or selling. If the other person isn’t flexible about time or meeting place (exception noted above) I pass unless it’s something I REALLY want.
This is EXACTLY how I operate when buying on CL (except for the review, which doesn't apply). CL doesn't have an "is this available" template, of course, but I never ask. Opening with a specific question about the item is the best way to assure the seller that you're legit.
Likes For madpogue: