View Single Post
Old 04-16-24, 01:57 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
What I do as a BUYER on Marketplace, OfferUp, etc.;
- I don’t use the formatted “is this available” or whatever template is offered. I ask specific questions about things not mentioned in the ad.
- I don’t make offers until I see the item in person.
- I suggest meeting at a halfway point or place familiar to both of us if distance is reasonable.
- If the price is reasonable to start with I might make a slightly lower offer but I’m prepared to pay full price.
- If all goes well I leave the seller a 5-star review.
- If I’m running late I let the seller know.
- I let the seller know I’ll be driving a white F-150 or whatever vehicle I’m in.

You may say, “Rusty, I know how to spend money. Why are you blathering on about this!?” Well, good communication has yielded rewards. I’ve had sellers throw in freebies because they just want to get rid of stuff. A set of wheels also got me some new tires. A bike purchase also got me a set of skis, that I wasn’t interested in, but I sold those so the bike was free. Win! Also, if I’m buying bike stuff I ask if they have anything else that might be related and often the add-ons are VERY cheap or free. I’ll break my own rule on location if the seller says “I’ve got a bunch of stuff. C’mon over and check it out.”

Poor communication is a red flag whether I’m buying or selling. If the other person isn’t flexible about time or meeting place (exception noted above) I pass unless it’s something I REALLY want.

Unless it’s small stuff, I wouldn’t consider shipping. Too much potential for problems.
I agree and do many of the same things as a buyer. I'm the communication King for sure haha. One thing I will not do is ask for a midpoint meeting place. If they want to meet at Home Depot etc. it's fine, but I'm not gonna insist or even suggest it.

As someone who also sells, I will politely say no to anyone who asks me to meet somewhere. It's not out of fear, but it's just too inconvenient with too great a chance of being a waste of time (no-show, doesn't buy, etc.). I suppose if someone paid in advance, I'd consider meeting halfway. I have buyers come to my house and meet outside. It's easy to tell if buyers are legit when selling vintage bikes. I've sold dozens over the past few years with no problem and have met other local bike geeks. Admittedly, I'm selling sub-$200 bikes for the most part. If I was selling expensive merch, I would be more wary.