View Single Post
Old 04-16-24, 05:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked 4,044 Times in 2,622 Posts
The advice above is good. I am just going to suggest that you approach this with patience. Finding the right saddle can take a while, in part because as you ride more, your riding position is near certainly going to change and your butt will adopt to the idea of sitting on this very different object. For an analogy, think of a native American (or bushman of another continent) who has never seen, let alone worn, shoes. Now he's being told he lives in the city and must wear them the entire time he's out of his home. "Go to the shoe store and buy a comfortable pair." I'm guessing the odds of the first pair being it are pretty low.

I couldn't see any hints on where you live so I have no idea what shops you might access to. It used to be "buy it and if you don't like it, tough luck." That's changing. Better shops are seeing saddles as 1) very personal, 2) critical to having happy customers and 3) being generous with returns can lead to customers coming back for larger purchases (new bikes). Many allow you to bring back seats in exchange for a better fitting one, often after real time has passed and you've acquired enough miles to know. A shop in Portland takes this a step further. They have a saddle "library". You buy a $25 card and can take out any of roughly 2 dozen seats for a week. Just like a library book. Return it and try another. As many times as you like Find one you want to own and they give you a new, boxed one and return your $25.

Ask at your local shop or shops what their policy is. And how many seats they have access to that you can try.

Welcome to Bike Forums!
Likes For 79pmooney: