Old 04-16-24, 07:16 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4572 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Perhaps the question is not "when did Asian lugged frames disappear" but rather "When did TIGged frames replace lugged frames"? I looked at Ritchey, and the TIG welded Road Logic was introduced in 1991. I think that's early in the 'window' during which lugged frames were supplanted by welded frames. Remember, the early 90s was also when Indurain won the last TdF won on steel on a TIG welded bike.
That really doesn't work. That's like saying "when did aluminum replace steel?". In the middle of the MTB boom that was 98% TIG, Trek developed oversize MTB lug sets. Lugs never went away, they just lost the economic battle that Doug Fattic alludes to: The production cost combined with inflexibility in geometry and tubing shape made lugs less economical for an industry that was always selling "new and improved".

But, as I've mentioned several times, this is not a "why" thread. Please start one if you want. This is a thread for those interested in what was available, and what might be found on the used market.