View Single Post
Old 04-16-24, 09:27 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's as good as it gets, though. Obviously nobody is going to set up controlled experiments.
The same author that you quoted, who had his early work famously retracted, has now given-up trying to push the helmet falsehood. One of his more recent studies concludes:

Originally Posted by https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/3/2/110
RESULTS: There were 3854 injured cyclists in the three year period; 3390 (88%) completed questionnaires were returned 51% wore helmets at the time of crash. Only 22.3% of patients had head injuries and 34% had facial injuries. Risk of serious injury was increased by collision with a motor vehicle (odds ratio (OR) = 4.6), self reported speed > 15 mph (OR = 1.2), young age (< 6 years), and age > 39 years (OR = 2.1 and 2.2 respectively, compared with adults 20-39 years). Risk for serious injury was not affected by helmet use (OR = 0.9). Risk of neck injury was increased in those struck by motor vehicles (OR = 4.0), hospitalized for any injury (OR = 2.0), and those who died (OR = 15.1), but neck injury was not affected by helmet use. CONCLUSIONS: Prevention of serious bicycle injuries cannot be accomplished through helmet use alone, and may require separation of cyclists from motor vehicles, and delaying cycling until children are developmentally ready.
I wonder why this subject has you so agitated.
Why do you think I am? I am just taking time out of my day to educate people who should already be educated on this topic. I wonder why so many posters to the Advocacy & Safety forum are so completely unfamiliar with the topic at-hand.

Wasn't there a question in some of your other whoop ups as to whether you even ride a bike?
No, that was a pathetic and desperate attempt by an individual with no remaining position to defend, who had previously talked a lot of smack, and regretted it -- you should probably search up that person, you two might have a lot in common.