Old 04-17-24, 06:49 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 875 Posts
Leaving a U-lock locked to a bike rack overnight (without bike)

Does anyone do this? I got a new U-lock that is heavy (Kryptonite New York Fuggetaboutit) and I'm wondering if there is any downside to just leaving the lock attached to a public bike rack at my downtown office overnight so I don't have to carry it back and forth between my office and home. I have a second lighter U-lock that I'd bring with me.

No one is going to steal a U-lock, right? It would be locked up to a normal U-shaped bike rack on a busy urban sidewalk, so the lock would be sitting on the ground overnight. It's a downtown office building area (Chicago) and the bike racks are busy during the day but mostly empty overnight. I don't think any other cyclists would care and it's not like I'm "calling dibs" on a rack - other cyclists could park there and I'd just grab the lock the next morning and move it to whatever rack I park at.

If feels weird leaving an expensive lock laying on the street, but I don't really see any downside and am just wondering if anyone else has seen this, or does this?