Thread: Lugged Fork ID
View Single Post
Old 04-17-24, 04:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 3,950 Times in 2,352 Posts
My suspicions are a mid later 1970s build. The recessed brake nut wasn't popular at all in the early 1970s or before to my knowledge.

The fork looks nicely done, note the tapering done to the dropout top side of the tab entering the blade. Much like a highly regarded US builder does Although I doubt this is his work.

What I also note as being quite distinctive is the shape of the crown's top surface. There's a slightly raised (plateau like) surface/feature that is wide at the crown race seat and narrows down to a point. Many crowns (I suspect more stamped and welded ones than IC ones) have this same sort of feature but all the ones I remember seeing this feature is both symmetrical along both it's front and rear edge. But this one's feature has two different curves to the front and rear edges, sort of like a comma shape. Andy