pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Good for you on that weight loss. Leveling off is quite usual as I mentioned. So the next thing is to normalize your diet, i.e. go to a mostly plant-based Mediterranean-style diet. That'll better support your riding and be healthier and you can still control your weight just by eating portions sizes that will still cause slow weight loss.

Your lack of energy is due to a lack of glycogen, which is basically carbohydrates stored in your muscles and liver. You're eating so few carbs that your tiny glycogen stores get burned quickly and then you feel weak. So you have to eat the carbs necessary to form and store glycogen. If one's glycogen stores are full, one can do a brisk ride of about 3 hours and eat nothing before or during, just burning that glycogen. A low carb diet is high in fat and protein. Fat is 5000 calories/pound. Carbs are 2000 calories/pound. So cutting way down on fat will allow you to eat carbs while still losing weight, again partly because you'll be able to do longer rides.

In any case, eating a bowl of oatmeal before a ride isn't be best strategy. You want to just eat more carbs in each meal, which will increase your glycogen stores. Then you really won't have to eat before, during or after riding, just eat normal meals and ride say 30 miles every other day.
I’m not doing keto. I am not comfortable eating the amount of fat keto calls for.
I usually just eat a protein bar and a tomato sandwich in the morning- I like tomatoes, a cobb salad for lunch without bacon but with grilled chicken and a boiled egg and a quarter of an avocado. Salad and Go is really good. I eat a light supper, usually some kind of chicken.
I will look into plant based diets but I also like BBQ and steak and will never turn vegan or vegetarian.
I use Sola keto bread to keep carbs down.
Heck I have basically given up beer- Mich Ultra.

I saw a pic of a meal someone was eating for healthy carbs while exercising and losing weight. It looked like baked beans on slices of bread.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 04-17-24 at 09:21 PM.
Likes For pepperbelly: