View Single Post
Old 04-18-24, 07:55 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Good article. Besides the lure of sweets, baked goods, pasta, etc, there is also the issue of fresh vegetables being expensive, which we should all eat instead of just more protein (and by fresh, I don't mean only raw, but also cooking with them), and most people eat too much protein, which puts more strain on the kidneys and can lead to gout, among other things. Also, once your weight is up, the fat on the outside is not as much a problem, but then you start to get fat between and invading the organs, and that impedes their function. Losing weight is much harder than just maintaining weight. We are also a nation that drives a car two blocks to the grocery, and communities and cities not set up for safe bicycling. That's preaching to the converted on this forum, but we are the minority. Lastly, what about fruit? Fruit has sugar. It would be a gray existence indeed if I had to give up fruit.
Fresh frozen vegetables are pretty cheap. 16 oz of broccoli, or cauliflower, my main vegetables, is just over a dollar a bag at Walmart. A bundle of fresh Kale is like $1.25. Don't buy the pre bagged and washed stuff.
Fruit has sugar, but the fiber slows down the absorption. Still if you really want to lose weight cut fruit down to a couple small servings per week on things like apples or bananas. Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries don't have as much of a glycemic impact and can be consumed more frequently.

If you are trying to cut down on sugar, be aware that many highly processed foods raise blood sugar even faster than pure sugar, especially processed breads, cereal, and crackers.