Old 04-18-24, 08:44 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,468 Posts
Since I destroyed my race pursuit bars in my crash in September last year, I have been looking for a replacement. I have old aluminum bars from Planet X that look slow. However, I can set the width wider than is available in the later model bars such as those from Aerocoach and others.

What is interesting is that there may be a wider elbow pad set point that works for me. I have broader shoulders such that moving my arms apart and splitting the airflow may work. Sarah Hammer had her aerobar pads set wider. In testing, she found that it made no difference moving her arms closer together and she could breathe better.

Of course, if one looks at the positions of the current elite hour record holders, they look like they are hidden behind their helmets and their arms look like a spear.

And there is a trade off between control and how narrow one sets ones arms. The closer together the arms, the less control one has over the bike. So I would choose control over a slightly less CdA in team events. Also, in team events, one has the opportunity to recover and breathe. So a position that favors recovery and breathing may offer a competitive advantage.

I think all the above mentioned variables make team events interesting and challenging to get perfect.
Likes For Hermes: