Old 04-18-24, 12:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5054 Post(s)
Liked 8,322 Times in 3,930 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
This is too hardcore of a bike for commuting. Rack & fender options are severely limited.

Raising and pulling the bar back far enough for this upright comfort you're after is going to mess up the steering geometry. Front end will get ... nervous, at best. I know because I did this on my Aventon Level.2. Can't ride no-handed any more; it immediately starts to wobble. With the stock stem, it was a non-issue. When I go grocery shopping and put 40 lbs. of groceries on the back rack, it's even worse; I have to be careful. I'll probably put the stock stem back on it.

I also question why you're stuck on a flat bar. What do folks think is so great about having only one hand position? ...or two if you add the silly-looking bar ends ...or having one's arms spread wide, so the torso catches the wind like a sail? With the kind of riding you're saying, you don't need the leverage of a wide bar.

I think you'll find out in the fulness of time that I'm right.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong, and I wish you the best and I hope you'll keep us updated on how she goes.
Changing the stem length/angle will have zero impact on how a bike handles when riding no-handed.