Old 04-19-24, 12:07 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 804 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
The folding pedals that came with the bike, I think I wore out after a year of daily riding; I had regreased them, but they had a plastic body with a stamped steel outer race, not thick enough or strong enough steel, it failed with a radial crack right through. I don't have amazon so just grabbed the first pedals at hand off a Giant/Eddie Bauer hybrid bike that I was riding before the folder. Those have lasted almost ten years now, a lot of miles, despite also having a plastic body, but disappointingly, have zero seals on the inboard end; They work fine until one good rain and then I need to rebuild the pedals. My old Lake biking shoes and SPD pedals are too deep in storage to get out, plus those shoes are really too rigid to walk a distance in, even with SPD setup. Even after setting up my bike for lower gearing, I sometimes walk the bike up a stretch, to exercise different muscles, or to walk off a calf cramp. But yeah, if not SPDs, I desire toe clips. I have a new set of Shimano SPD/platform pedals that were a great deal at the REI returns sale, haven't tried yet. Those might be good for a tour where I would have both bike and street shoes.

I strap my bike when folded as I removed the magnets, would not work with my rear rack (spaced out for discs, which my bike doesn't have).
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
With even cheap 20" folders coming with 11T high cog (for about 20 years now), 52x11 was plenty high for me. Surprisingly, it needed lower than the 52x30 which gave me over 30 gear inches, no granny like on my road bike. I went with a 2X 50/34 on the same 11-30 to get me down to 21 inch low and 85 inch high, which is easily adequate for the speeds I run, can pedal down a mild grade. If I go loaded touring with it in mountains, I'll want a 34 or 36 low cog, or 42 with one of those tricky compact 1X rear derailleurs.
84yo neighbor gave me her OLD 20" wheel steel DAHON 6spd SIS with 52 chainring and 14/28. Replaced pedals with KABON, put Aerobars on and hit 25.2mph max last week. A friend gave me an alloy crank set with a 62 tooth chainring and hoping to up that top speed. It's become my Grocery Grabber bike with a basket mounted on the rear rack.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 04-19-24 at 12:11 AM.