Old 04-19-24, 05:29 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
No doubt the latex tubes are lighter by a significant amount for a tube, and the data shows they produce a faster wheel, however in our testing on aa 15 mile known time trial course with riders that did the course every week in season, the tubes showed absolutely no advantage. Real world testing done over a 1 month period. Two riders for a total of eight trials. The results were real.
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
How did you control for temperature? Tire pressure? Barometric pressure?

Your test is not valid, that is for real.
There are so many variables doing the same TT course week to week that would overwhelm any small efficiencies from latex tubes.

I’ve done TT series where I did the same course every week for the course of a summer. My speed and power data moved around enough week to week that it would be impossible to make any valid conclusion regarding the effect of a small equipment change.

If I was a tenth of a mile an hour faster one week, with the same or lower watts than the previous week, was it because I paced better that week, it was less windy, the wind direction was different, Iheld my position better, it was warmer, etc, etc, etc.

The claimed advantage of latex tubes is small enough that you would have to have a very tightly controlled experiment to tease out the effect of the tubes from the noise.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-19-24 at 05:35 AM.