View Single Post
Old 04-19-24, 09:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7087 Post(s)
Liked 11,207 Times in 4,784 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Mr Spock says, “I find that highly illogical”. Place your multi-speed bike in a gear you like and keep it there - problem solved; Zen state realized - unless there is an ego thing about riding a “single speed”. <-Un-Zen.
Have you ever actually done that with a multi-speed bike? It's not the same thing.

People ride SS (or fixed) for all kinds of reasons: some ride them because they are forced to work on their cadence, some like the simplicity, some like the challenge (though you may call it an "ego thing"). It's a self-imposed discipline that isn't really achieved by trying to not shift your multi-geared bike.

I've commuted on a SS for a long time mainly for the simplicity of (1) not having a RD to bang into doors and such when schlepping my bike in and out of buildings, and (2) the ease of maintenance, which I especially appreciated when riding in foul weather. After a sloppy ride, I just wipe off the chain, maybe add some lube, and that's it. No cassette to keep clean, no shift cables, no derailleurs to clean up and adjust.

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
You may want to consider why the prices on them are so low.
You may "want to consider why the prices on them are so low" -- which is because they have no derailleurs, no cassettes, no shifters, no freehubs, and single chainrings. When you leave off a whole bunch of relatively expensive components, then the bikes cost less to produce.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-19-24 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For Koyote: