View Single Post
Old 04-19-24, 10:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7150 Post(s)
Liked 11,351 Times in 4,849 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Not if you modify an existing bike - but I am through in this exchange. You must be right because you must be right. Fine with me.
You're the one who has argued and changed the goalposts. And now you offer a parting criticism without rebutting a single thing I've written. That's petty and childish. You're obviously engaging in projection.

FYI, I have ridden track bikes and taken track racing courses on our local velodrome - and it was a kick.
That's cool, but doesn't bear on our exchange. You should go back to the velodrome and compare those bikes to your 11sp road bike, or whatever you've got. Hint: look at the dropouts, the spacing and wheel dish, etc.

but around here, with 5-15% climbs to get anywhere, a fixie is not always the best and a single speed would be a real workout and better suited to a 20-30 year old who is not protecting their knees. OTOH, in a relatively flat area, either would work just fine.
Still doesn't bear on our exchange, though I agree with this. But you might be surprised at some of the grades that really strong riders can clear on SS bikes. When I lived out East, I saw plenty of riders doing big gravel races, often with over 100' of climbing per mile, on SS -- and they were fast. Also rode a hill climb competition or two with such riders. And it was not an "ego thing" for them. They were just strong as hell and wanted/needed/embraced the challenges. Some of them were former messengers who were just accustomed to riding SS and/or fixed.