cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Bart78
I know everything that You wrote very well. I ride road bike for 20 years. My sit bones are certainly hardened, but as I'm getting older they need more comfort. I hate chamois, because after 1 hour ride it is full of moisture - I can live with that with road bike eventually, but I can't wear bibs riding my trekking when I travel to work or friends...
Distances: road bike up to 130 km, trekking - up to 60 km.
For years I rode selle italia max flite, and I could ride on it without chamois. Unfortunately, as it turned out some day, this saddle presses my sensitive perineum (numbness occurs).
Leather saddles - I think it will be same problem with perineum numbness....
I can't ride more than 20 minutes without chamois on most road saddles that I had....
saddles - The Max Flite has come in a few different 'variations' over the years, some with solid (no open groove) form, others with varying width of open space/groove down the saddle middle.
maybe look for a newer version, similar shape to what you had/liked (if you have the solid shell without open groove).
If the saddle is 'level' in setup, often 2-4mm drop takes the pressure off your 'parts'... It might take a few rides to let your legs become accustomed, but worth a try (and not costly).

shorts/bibs - vary quite a bit in the 'chamois' on them. Often hard to find those which work for anyone.
Perspiration - because of the riding position, all the perspiration which DOESN'T transfer thru the shirt/Jersey/Top and evaporate, goes down and collects down at your butt and privates...
ride with good ventilation and fabric which doesn't collect moisture - No Cotton ! - No Tight synthetics ! -Soccer/football Jerseys are the WORST material !
The more you can allow to evaporate, the less wet you will be at the chamois/saddle.
Buy enough riding bottoms (shorts/Bibs) to allow you to NOT ride the same shorts consecutively. For mulit-day rides carry at least one (maybe 2?) additional bottoms to wear on alternating basis.
And do a quick handwash/rinse on bottom used and then allow to dry.
I find 4 bottoms will get me thru 7-8 days of riding (with a quick rinse after use). I have 14-15 bottoms of varying style and fabric/thickness, which allows me t pick something appropriate for the ride/day. Not all bought in the same season - but now usually retire 1 or 2 each season and get new.
That for roughly 240+ days riding & 10,000+ km per year (I do a lot of other things, hike/multi-day backpack, alpine & XC ski, hockey...)
Ride On
Yuri