View Single Post
Old 04-19-24, 11:44 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Given it's 9 spd, the 14-26 would have a large group of single tooth cogs up to 19, which means nice, tight gear choices for most road riding between 100 & 60 gear inches, also allowing the rider to stay in one chainring for quite a variety of flat to punch rollers, and solo or group rides.
Not racing gearing, but certainly very nice for even fast group rides between 30 & 14 mph, then having the granny ring for those serious alpine climbs....

I have similar on my older Sworks Tarmac which I keep at my family home in Germany - 50/39/30 & 13-25 covers me for ANY possible ride!
The 49 being a bit 'different', but that may have been because IT was available at the time, and not a 50...
A well set-up Triple is still a thing of cycling beauty... when you want 'One Chainset to Rule Them All'.
If you're not in a 'race' (where an eight yard gap means you're shelled) and have time to consider your options, a triple can't be beat....
unless your self-assurance is tied to your equipment, as opposed to your legs...
Ride On
Yuri
Ah yes, that makes sense. The rear cassette is 14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-26, so yes very tight ratios.

I do agree on the rest, triples have their place and seem to be making a big comeback. My personal preference is for doubles, aesthetically, but also simply because it's just what I've been riding for so long and change is hard LOL

Cheers for that info