Old 04-19-24, 10:33 PM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Very Late 90s and 2000s is a sweet spot for, all the building materials. Really, 'Brand' is not important, many great bikes out there, a lot depends on your personal taste and, of course, what geometry you might wish/need.
Patience and Craigslist will have you finding something - depending on where you live.
You'll need some knowledge about bikes, and the good stuff. What you don;t know, you can search and ask here.
Things I would avoid:
1. Square Taper - is still available, but in better bikes, it's for the 'Vintage' crowd.
2. I would also avoid anything using ISIS, OCTALINK or the Campy equivalent (name escapes me...). They were ok, but became problematic with extended use... Stay with any of the Modern crankset/BB combos which have the Crank spindle attached to the Drive side Crank - mostly bulletproof and great shifting.
3. 9 Speed was good, But 10 spd is awesome good, 1st gearing which could handle shifting under load an 'expected' good result. 10 spd also has the greatest variety of stuff available, especially gearing combinations (chainrings options and a vast range of cassettes).
4. Late 90's and newer should all be 'Threadless' stem, although the old school Quill Stem might sneak in... I would avoid Quill Stem bikes and any with 1" headtubes.
5. If you're a real 'trackie', you would know 'sewups/tubular' - avoid... stay with clincher wheels. Tubular are still common to very recent times, for racing, but they are finally having the nails put in their coffin (maybe...)
6. Wheels, complicated, some good, some not so good. Best to ask specifics here when you have some for consideration.
Good Luck, happy tire kicking ! Bike shopping is super great fun!
Ride On
Yuri
Thank you!!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Feel like there is always some new innovation in the bike world for a few years and then you never hear about it again. Like the Shimano Bio-Space oval chainrings (which I'm now noticing people are making oval rings again). Your info is super helpful.

I do actually have a set of tubular wheels running sew-ups. Been riding them off and on for 10 years but mainly short rides. Kind of a pain to set up but a very comfortable ride. I definitely pay attention when shopping for used stuff though, lots of vintage tubular out there.

All of my track bikes run square taper Sugino 75s and Sugino loose ball BB. Not too worried about changing to newer tech. Just not excited about buying more tools.

Thanks again, so much helpful info!