Old 04-20-24, 07:08 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Anytime you go against mainstream, you're going to face criticism. Whether it's SS, fixed gear, the wrong clothing, or any other deviation from norms.

People deviate from the norms for reasons, people who don't, imagine those reasons must be insanity, stupidity, or other mental failings.

The answer to your question is as much about facing social pressure, as it is about the appropriate tool for the job.
As someone who takes the path less traveled in a couple of areas, I’d agree with this.

Two examples come to mind: for the last few years, I’ve ridden only SS and I live, walk and regularly run in only minimal shoes.

In both cases, there is aspect to do with the simplicity of the lived experience and an aspect of forcing the body to do hard things.

Not everyone will thrive or prefer those aspects.

Moreover, there is a potentially difficult period of transition, and not a lot of clear guidance on how to make that transition so you can find out if you will really like a minimal approach.

Going from say, depending on multiple gears to ease up hills to being fully confident and able to push hard up hills and enjoy it is not something that happens in a single ride. I used a geared bike during a transitional period where I would only use 42/16 except for steep hills when I’d shift to 42/21. After a couple of months I was able o just do 42/16 at which point I ditched the gearing and went single speed.

The return to the sort of minimal footwear our forebears wore for thousands of years has benefits for many. A lot of interest was created in 2008 by McDougal’s “Born to Run”, but many who might have benefited, instead got injured, because they tried to switch their massive training load onto their weak, underdeveloped feet and ankles and with their bad running form far too quickly and got injured.

In this case, people need guidance on how to make the transition without causing injury. There are transitional shoes like Lem’s that are minimal friendly (wide toe box, no heel, no artificial supports) but with more stack height and a slight cushion. This allows adapting to the lack of heel and lack of artificial supports but puts less stress on the feet than a true minimal shoe. It also requires a lot of patience, because it works best to gradually increase the workload on the feet first with ordinary activity, then a lot of walking and only gradually adding some running. Patience is not in great supply these days it seems.

And then there is of course, no guarantee after you make the transition that it will be what you love. But it may.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 04-20-24 at 07:13 AM.