Old 04-20-24, 08:15 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Amitoj
Yeah, the sidewalk is looking like a viable option.
I know a lot of people resist hitting a sidewalk for a number of reasons. Pedestrians, poor transitions (no ramps), PRIDE, stubborn, or succumbing to judgements from ppl on Bike Forums or other places all come to mind. It's YOUR hide in the balance. Looking at your pics, if I felt like it was just a matter of time before getting clipped, I would WALK my bike on the sidewalk if I had aversion to riding my bike on the sidewalk (I do not). Yield to all pedestrians and you're good IMO.

One good illustration: I recently moved to a place full of narrow, hilly, curvy, heavily trafficked (trucks too) arterial roads. Back roads lead to nowhere - all cul-de-sacs without thru traffic (dead ends). To me, it's a NO-GO entirely most places. So as I am DRIVING my bike on the car rack on Augusta Road (Greenville, SC) I noticed three roadies, full kits, from 50-70yo (best guess), sweet bikes, all very fit looking guys. They came out of a side street and all three hopped up on the sidewalk and rode to the next "safe" street. I guess that's how they lived to be "masters" category. Not too much pride! Facts on the ground man, facts on the ground!