View Single Post
Old 04-20-24, 05:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4504 Post(s)
Liked 4,189 Times in 2,804 Posts
I love my single speed but more to the point I love my fixed gear. It is harder to ride and easier to ride in some strange way. It is just a simple bike and can be as nice as you want it for a lot less then a traditional geared set up. My Specialized Langster has top end parts (or very near to them) and still was cheaper than many of my other geared bikes but is so so smooth in terms of drivetrain and is neat to look at.

I think the joy of one gear is it is terrible for most things and that sounds like it would be dumb to say but it is a challenge in simplicity. You cannot change gears beyond flipping a wheel to a different cog or a freewheel in some cases but you can power through the gear you have. Plus with a fixed gear especially you can learn more control. I can use my legs to slow down a bit if I want to rather than just braking (and I am not talking about skidding or anything dangerous use brakes unless at a velodrome. Plus it can work maybe a few different muscles you may not work out quite as much being able to coast though I am not a sports medicine doctor or anything I just enjoy bikes.

My next bike which is a dream of mine is probably going to be a really cool custom titanium fixed gear road bike (or maybe gravel both are looking good to me) with maybe even a step up in parts from what I currently have and just making something super cool and just fit me like a glove type of thing. I love all of my bikes but there is something so nice about a fixed gear that just cannot be replicated in my other bikes.