rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
My 1990 Cannondale ST400 originally came with 27 inch rims. When I bought it, it had a 27 in the front, and 700 on the rear. Since the original cantilevers didn't have enough adjustment for 700 rims, the previous owner had installed a Weinmann centerpull brake. That was just one of the many "hacks" they did to keep the bike on the road.
Well I finished hooking it up and it stops the bike, so I guess I'll stick with it for now. I am not sure I want to go the centerpull route it would just look even funnier to me.

My next question is, what common vintage rear derailleur can work with a 9 speed cassette? I tried a cyclone mk-II long cage and it only goes up to the 8th cog (2nd gear). I think the cable is tight enough, and the adjustment screw is all the way out. The shifter is a Shimano BS50 in friction mode. I have a deore dx somewhere, would that work? Or is it the shifter? This is actually the first time I've tried anything over 7 cogs, so I've no clue.

Alternatively, if I use a smaller cassette such as a 7 or 8 speed, would I need to stick a spacer on the hub? Or no?

Last edited by rgvg; 04-20-24 at 07:58 PM.