View Single Post
Old 04-20-24, 07:20 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 1,195 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
We had a good ride today although I had a stupid flat. I found the glass shard easily and put in a new tube and since I was with a group I used my CO2. I use those cheap 12g cartridges so the PSI was “only” about 65 but it was a front tire and 25mm so plenty. But my friend who put the bike together was concerned that he did not hear the bead “pop” and upon spinning the wheel there was indeed a slight raise/hop in the tire. They hit it with a few strokes of a pump and got a “snap” and the hop in the tire was gone.

This same thing happened with my previous flat but NEVER before.

The tires are some Vittoria ones he put on the bike rather than the Conti GP’s I usually use.

The front tire was fairly worn anyway so when I got home I pitched it and put in a new GP5000. I did need the bead Jack but got it on without too much hassle.

There was no “snap” of the bead with the Conti, so I am guessing this is a quirk with the Vittoria tires. Both are clinchers (not tubeless).

Any thoughts on whether this is typical for some tires or tire/rim combos??
I was unaware that front tires ever flatted.