Old 04-21-24, 12:42 AM
Mtbgrvbiker

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trav1s
I can speak to the Topstone - I am 169 cm tall with a 75cm inseam - I tried out a small Topstone and immediately tired a 52 cm Synapse. I wanted to like the Topstone but it was too small. The Synapse was just right. When I inquired about a medium Topstone, the LBS told me the Medium would feel too big.

If you want one of the bikes on your list and it is in your means, then ride them and see what fits you best.

I'm still thinking about that Synapse...
Originally Posted by jevery57
I’m 6’ 1” tall. I do have long legs/short torso. For the Cannondale that I took back I used the online size calculator which returned a result of Medium size. Once I had the bike and started making adjustments the seat post was raised to the limit and it felt that I was not getting enough knee extension on the down stroke. The frame also felt small compared to my previous road bike. I would likely have been happy with the Cannondale in large, however, the size/color combination was and remains unavailable. The online calculator for Specialized uses height plus shin length and returned a result of 58cm which is significantly larger than their medium sizes of 54/56. The 58cm also comes with the longest crank arms and I’m now getting sufficient knee extension without the seat post raised to the limit. The Specialized lineup does offer significantly more size increments than Cannondale which should help with the “Between sizes” dilemma.
Hello Trav1s, thank you for the help. I’ve been looking at bike sizing information, and I’m 172 cm tall with an 84 cm inseam. For the Topstone, I’m torn between sizes S and M. I tried both, and the M frame left about 1 finger width of space between the top tube and my inseam, while the S had more room. Unfortunately, I couldn’t test-ride them in the store to assess the reach.

The shop recommended the M size, but I’m unsure how it will feel with the seat post raised. That’s why I was considering buying the S so that the raised seat post would compensate for the size. However, as you mentioned, jevery57, considering your height on the Topstone, they recommend M or L. In your case, you mentioned that the larger size fits you better, correct?

Thanks to your recommendation, I also checked out the Specialized sizing calculator, 42 cm leg, which suggests a 54 for me. Based on this, I believe the M in the Topstone would be the right choice for me. Thank you both—I feel much more confident about my size now. It’s just a matter of deciding on a specific bike. Your comments have been greatly appreciated!.

Last edited by Mtbgrvbiker; 04-21-24 at 10:12 AM.