Old 04-21-24, 12:43 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The big danger of doing the weight-weenie drug is the next fix is always a lighter component and it's only a few dollars more. Only then will the bike be light enough.

Here are a few things I've picked up along the way:
Hunt has 1300 gram rim brake wheels.
Darimo has the seatpost you need.
Ax-Lightness has your next saddle and handlebars.
Extralite has hubs, chainrings, stem, headset.
Edco has monoblock cassettes.
YBN has a beautiful titanium chain.
THM has 120 gram brake set and a 300 gram crank set.

All this is nice stuff and none of it is unreasonably priced if you are laser focused on a goal and patient enough to save discretionary income over a long enough time period. But honestly, 16 pounds is a respectable weight.

I offer you kudos to your efforts.
I honestly don't trust half those parts. If I was building a weenie disc bike then maybe, but I honestly don't see most of that stuff happening. If my weight goals are much better met and served with my current rim brake wheels then I'd consider selling the carbon clinchers. I think the Al wheels I have set up the same way as the carbon clinchers would likely be 150-200 grams lighter. Nothing to really scoff at... Though I really don't know if I want to use TPU tubes on daily wheels!

The price for all the parts you listed would have bought me a really nice disc brake bike. I'm keeping my steel disc brake bike reasonable with a goal weight of sub 20lbs (which might actually be hard) and the caad13 is going to be the reasonable weenie. Besides, a light used carbon frame would have been a better starter at a similar price.

I swear I'm trying to be content with all this for a fair bit. I'll probably be able to afford a much nicer bike soon but the caad13 has really impressed me and I didn't feel like dealing with the weight penalty of disc for my fast bike given what I want to spend.

If anything, I should sell the steel disc frame im building and get something better. The only reason I'm not doing that is because I want to pull that steel bike into commuter duty once I buy a better disc brake bike. The frame is a Genesis equilibrium. Should be a cool build honestly. I just wish that the fork was full carbon since that would be a fair bit lighter!