Old 04-21-24, 01:26 AM
Mtbgrvbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Where you are located can matter for what else might be available to you. Personally I would want to get a State All-road for a commuter and general use bike due to a combination of quality and cost. However, if I were in Europe which I'm guessing you are, I might look at brands like Dolan which offers a good value and well tested bikes for the money or something from planetx, where you could get an all day comfort riding Ti, steel or carbon.

1x vs 2x, for a general use bike, 1x is more than adequate. 1x can give you similar range to older 2x systems but without the complication of figuring out if you needed to change the front gearing and the back gearing for the next best gear. For riders that spend hours every other day on their bike the next best gear is known and shifting is easy, for everyone else changing the front is an afterthought to use once you've run out of gears in the back. 1x you just shift to easier or harder and no real thought needed. Most 1x gearing will work fine if you aren't trying to make real speeds or distance, a 40/42 or 45 low gear might climb some steep grades easily but the corresponding 40/11 isn't going to be fast. It also has the disadvantage of having some larger jumps in the climbing gears that aren't always optimal.
2x can be better if you like shifting gears, or are at least willing to learn all of them and how to use them. There's just more gear options to pick which gear will optimize your effort based on hills, wind, and how you are feeling. A lot of gravel will run a 46/30, 48/32 or some sort of compact road bike a 50/34. A 48/11 will be noticeably easier to maintain a higher speed in over flats but easy enough to spin away in for long periods of time. However a lot of gravel 2x still doesn't have the low gearing of a 1x since the rear der has to also take up the longer chain for those front gearing changes. While a 32/36 is a very low gear it isn't as low as a 40/45 since those rear gears have a greater effect than the front on how much easier or harder the pedaling is.
Personally, I like kicking around the city on my single speed, it isn't the fastest but it just cruises. If I were to look for a new gravel bike that would be used to ride around and even go for longer partial day trips on I'd probably go 1x unless I was worried about becoming a serious rider with ambitious plans. A 1x gravel bike with the right tires can ride a lot of local mtb trails with no effort, do 40 miles comfortably at a decent pace, maybe not truly fast, but faster than a mtb, and has a simplicity that makes it easier to just pick a gear and ride.
Hi, thank you for your explanation. Honestly, I hadn’t heard of those bicycle brands before—I had been swayed by the more well-known ones. I’ll definitely take a look at them.

Regarding gears, I’d prefer speed over anything else. I’m quite new to understanding gear ratios. Basic physics taught me that for speed, the front gear should be larger, and the rear gear should be smaller. If you want to climb hills, the front gear should be smaller than the rear gear. However, I wasn’t aware of the variety of teeth on the gears. I’ve seen specifications like “46x30T” and “2x10” on bikes like Specialized, but I didn’t understand those values.

Based on what you’ve explained, I now understand that the front gear has 46 teeth, the rear gear has 30 teeth, and there are 2 front gears and 10 rear gears. Therefore, the largest gear up front would have 46 teeth, and I realize that the rear has 10 gears, with the smallest having 30 teeth. According to your explanation, a configuration with a greater difference in teeth would result in higher speed.

Usually, I ride my bike in the largest front gear and rarely change it—I tend to use the rear gears more. So, I think a single-chainring bike would be more suitable for me. However, I wonder how challenging it would be to pedal on very steep inclines. I believe it’s more about leg strength than anything else, but based on your comments, it seems that a single-chainring setup would indeed be more optimal.

Thank you very much for your insights!

Regards.