View Single Post
Old 04-22-24, 09:02 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I only use ebikes for boring errands I want to get over with, mostly to get autoparts, as I can't use my van when it's being fixed.
I had a situation once where we were trying to figure out the logistics of dropping my wife's car off for body work when she couldn't pick me up from the shop. (as she took our daughter's car to work that day 50 miles away)
No problem. I put the folding eBike in the back of her car and rode it back to work after dropping her car off. (Lectric XP Lite)

It's worth pointing out that eBikes are also regular bikes, when we don't want or need the assistance. Today, for example, I took my eBike to work. On the ride in, I went unpowered, as it's an easy 2 miles. At lunch, I'll use PAS1 and go 15 mph even uphill. It'll be 10 miles total and I don't have time to mess around going 5-10 mph and don't want to sweat much. Going home, I'll use PAS1 to 3, as it's more uphill and I'm saving my legs for the fast Monday night club ride.

Of course as the eBikes get heavier, they're less realistic to pedal: My eMoped is 130 lbs. and pedaling is only a bit better than pushing it in case of running the battery down. Sub-40 lb. eBikes don't have to be as powerful or rangey, since they are more realistically pedal-able.
Likes For Smaug1: