Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by abfahrt
A couple of things:
1.) Tires (wheels). Would need larger, more gripping tires. I am not sure what my limits are with current rimms
2.) There are times I like to ride a bit lower (body position). For sure, some more options to alternate would be nice.
3.) It could use a faster gear for paved trail/street use
4.) There are times when I doubt the strength of the internal gear hub. Certainly is finicky and requires lots of adjustment to keep it noise free (BTW. I don't have the belt, I have the chain option)
That provides a bit more detail and you should investigate some other bikes to see wether they would meet those requirements. My 2cents

1. If what I read is correct, your bike has 40c tires, which are pretty big. I suspect you could go wider, but you'd need to check for tire clearance. Generally a 40 tire is good enough for most people for groomed trails

2. Drop bars will offer more hand positions as well as a lower riding position.

3. You should check your current gear range in terms of gear inches and see how it would compare with a traditional drivetrain. In my experience, there isn't a lot of opportunity for high speeds on bike paths, especially in urban areas.

4. I've personally never had an IGH but from what I know, reliability and low maintenance is their big advantage. If yours requires constant tweaking, I would have someone look at it.

If you can, rent a gravel bike and take it out where you normally ride and see how you like it.
Likes For Ogsarg: