Old 04-23-24, 01:41 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 464 Posts
I'm new to this Argument Room.

I've never ridden a Moulton of any kind. I'd love to own one as functional art.

Just a couple notes:
- IIRC, from decades ago, I thought a Moulton space frame, with bubble fairing over the handlebars and further down, was faster than large wheel bikes, I think mostly because of that fairing. But I could be wrong. I think I recall someone riding one in RAAM, not certain.
- The debate about suspension, the points about frequency make sense; With any suspension and especially rear, there is more moving (unsprung) mass, versus a cushy tire, the latter being able to better respond to higher frequencies.
- You don't need a space frame for a torsionally stiff diamond frame. The 1989 Cannondale criterium 3.0 frame with a 2" downtube and also large top tube, was immensely stiff in torsion, you could absolutely hammer on the pedals with no flex, instant go. But dang it rides stiff, too stiff in longitudinal bending. 28mm tires helped, just barely able to fit.
- My monobeam frame Dahon Speed is surprisingly stiff in torsion, even with a folding joint in the middle, that ovalized main tube has a lot of torsional section modulous, plus steel has 3X the elastic stiffness as aluminum. I climb with it without flex issues. (I also have the earlier non-telescoping steel handlebar riser.)