Old 04-23-24, 07:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2642 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 1,246 Posts
How long do you remember ... ?

How long do you remember a routine ride? I'm not talking about unusual combinations of scenery, animals, or even people in cars. Rather, consider a routine you might have; it might be your regular training ride, or my normal commute, the weekly ride with buddies, or the around the lake or neighborhood you ride three times a week.

I started write a Commuting post, and I was getting ready to comment on how the 40F weather was colder than anything I'd ridden in for a while. I think week before last was when it was gusty high winds -- or was that the week earlier? Was the low temperature 60? or was it 50F? And I found I couldn't remember the weather more than about a week and a half back. I can remember coming down from Togwotee Pass 15 years ago and seeing the Tetons for the first time in my life, or the deer standing in the middle of the road 10 years back until her fawn came out of the grass, crossed the road, and disappeared into the grass on the other side, etc., etc. I remember the traffic incidents from a week ago, a month ago, heck 5 years back. I remember the redbuds and later the dogwoods blooming this spring; but I couldn't tell you when they bloomed (or leafed) out.

For most of us, the things we experience on a bike ride are a big part of why we do it. But how long do you remember the commonplace of ordinary rides?