Old 04-23-24, 03:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,484 Times in 1,912 Posts
I try to not let externals keep me from doing what I want. This doesn't mean that I don't adapt to reality, just that I have a bias.

Moreover, I rarely use bike paths or trails, so the presence of E-bikes is less of a factor for me than it might be for others.

That said, I believe that the various agencies involved made serious mistakes in defining E-bike classes. IMO the E-bike designation equating them to bicycles should be limited to pedal assist versions that will not go unless you're pedaling, and the assist should phase out at something slightly below 20mph. I believe that ANY 2 wheel vehicle that can move by motor power alone is by definition a "motorcycle", and should be regulated accordingly. I've no issue with creating a class of light motorcycles, which would cover the throttle E-bikes, and formulating appropriate regulations, ie. plate required, along with bike (not MC) helmet, but no special DL needed. Here in NY, I see far too many E-bikes operating more like MCs and am concerned that related issues will end up causing a clampdown that might end up including pedal assist E-bikes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: