Old 04-24-24, 02:59 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,418 Times in 777 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9
MAFAC "450a" braze-on centerpull backing plates / spring tension plates / D-rings
​​​...
A story...

For my Monti Special I bought cleaned up/refurbished MAFAC RAIDs with posts and these rings from Amir in Israel (you might know him from CR).

When the time came to cut the posts to fit my fork we cut the first one on Doug's milling machine, then had to decide how to orient the second post in the mill without disturbing the its (manually adjusted) setup, keeping in mind that we needed the spring hole in the correct position. We're looking at things scratching our heads about which way the post should be rotated in the fixture. I came up with my idea and said something like, "Orient it this way, then it rotates and plops into position just so on the fork blade. Easy peasy." Doug says, "I don't know..." I say, "Trust me. This'll work." We make the cut, and... the flat in the D-ring was 180° out of position.

I ordered posts from René Herse with their circular spring rings. Much easier, takes any visual dyslexia out of the process. You just point the spring hole where you want it to go, then fire up the torch.