SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Thanks for your reply. So you haven't gotten 6000 miles out of a waxed chain? What is your high mileage so far on your current system?

I note that, if you are rotating three chains, the first chain won't reach 6000 miles of use until you have ridden more than 17,000 miles, is that correct? That's a Long Game. How many miles do you ride per year?

Again I ask, not having read this entire thread, is someone getting 6000-9000 miles from a waxed chain?

BC
My goal is a minimum of 7000 miles/year and I've been doing that and then some for the past 6 years, or ever since I switched from MTBing to road biking. ( I got too old to risk broken bones-76) Except for the un-named foreign made inexpensive chain that wore/stretched out in under 2000 miles, I'm definitely over 7K miles/chain. I only run KMC, Shimano, or SRAM chains now and I have well over 20K on the cassette on my fave bike even though I've had to replace the large chain ring. I didn't use to wax/swap my chains as often as I do now. I used to run them closer to 600 mile between swap but found I like the relaxing effect of soaking chains. I also only use donated candles and hard paraffin canning wax with no additives and clean my wax by scraping off the bottom layer of crud every few uses. Weather and riding conditions will have an impact, but I'll never do mine different than what I'm doing now. HTH