View Single Post
Old 04-24-24, 10:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7115 Post(s)
Liked 11,275 Times in 4,812 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
My main interest is what the competition will respond with now that Trek entered the radar market....
Okay, so let's go there.

Aside from the obvious factors -- longer battery life and longer range -- I can't think of much that I'd want added to my Varia's capabilities -- though that could just reflect my lack of imagination. It'd be great if there were some way for a radar unit to tell me not just that a vehicle is approaching, but also whether it is going to hit me, but I don't think this is technically possible as it would require a path prediction (which is difficult) or even a video feed to the head unit (which is difficult and would destroy battery life). And as njkayaker and I have already pointed out, anything involving the display configuration would be done on the head unit -- not on the radar unit.

Regardless, Trek's entry to the market is promising, as it is a much larger player than Bryton and hence represents real competition which might push Garmin to improve Varia somehow.

Originally Posted by chaadster
Boy, the CarBack is not an attractive unit to my eye. Not that Varia, Gardia, or Magene are either; I guess I’m hoping an Italian gets in the game and designs something elegant. Varia looks like a pawpaw dangling out the back. I know there’s not a lot of leeway to work with, but one can dream.
I suspect your aesthetic preferences are a couple standard deviations from the mean. Most people in this market are primarily interested in safety.