View Single Post
Old 04-24-24, 11:15 AM
njkayaker

Liked 1,498 Times in 1,037 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I think the benefit (if it exists) of the CarBack would be it's ability to interface better with headunits that the Garmin & Bryton might lack. the features that work within the Garmin ecosystem doesnt all carry over to the Wahoo ecosystem, that I am tracking.
The main head units are Garmin, Wahoo, and Hammerhead. How would the Trek have an "ability to interface better" with all of these? The software on the head units isn't being changed.

My main interest is what the competition will respond with now that Trek entered the radar market....
at the end of the day, they are all just electronic devices.
So, you care but don't care.

Other people might have some interest in how these things actually work even if you aren't. (You also went on about not being wrong.)

The competition won't do anything (for a while anyway). (No one would have been able to guess that this was your "main interest".) Being clear/correct about how these work is kind of important in any discussion of competition.

The Garmin Varia is the same price. The distinctive advantage the Trek device has is the lateral position but that's only viewable on the phone app. I think most of the people using these are not using phones. It's not clear how useful this will be in the real world (most passes don't include full lane changes). It's not clear that the Trek device is better than the Varia.

While Garmin and others might lose a few sales to Trek, it's not clear it would be worth the effort of accelerating development of a replacement device with significantly compelling improvements.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-24-24 at 11:30 AM.