View Single Post
Old 04-24-24, 02:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked 6,551 Times in 3,760 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Yeah, I’ve had one of those for decades. Never had an issue with the crank being too tight when I’ve used it. However, loose cranks are another story. Hence the torque wrench. That and a desire to have a measurable, reproducible results that don’t lead me to second guess my work.
Maybe add a short piece of PVC for a minor cheater, make a couple different lengths to graduate the torque up as you lean in?

I would expect that the the stretch and or wear? of the tapers in the crank arm may effect it some as we see some that bottom out and may not be tight enough, maybe?

And FWIW, I have shimmed the spindle and used washers that allow the spindle to protrude into them on stretched cranks.

Never ground the end of the spindle, yet but have always been able to find a spare with a tighter fit.

Last edited by merziac; 04-24-24 at 02:28 PM.