View Single Post
Old 04-24-24, 02:50 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 578 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Today was a 'different' one...
My 'To-Do' list for today took longer, so my daily ride in afternoon had to wait for a bit.
Finally got out just at beginning of 'Rush Hour' for bikes... starts at 3:30 ish round here. A usual leg of one of my rides takes me on a local Bike Path Between Goleta & Santa Barbara, near the beach and a large open space...
Coming down the path, with lots of Bike Traffic, I spied a 'Dark' Mass which seemed to be coming out onto the path, just ahead... slowed and Stopped !
Directly in front of me was a Fledgling Cormorant, seemingly very confused... and not sure where to go and what to do...
So I waved riders around me, and eventually got the bird off the path and on the side dirt apron...

Coro and I chillin on the bike path

There's a lot of e-bike traffic along with regular bikes, and they don;t slow for anyone or anything... So Bird and I stood together, while I called the Wildlife Rescue Center. It's a great facility and org we have in our Valley, and they take care of hundreds of critters of all sorts, bring them back to health (if at all possible) and generally are a huge PLUS for our area!
They're really busy these days with many injured animals and, of course, 'baby season'.
They eventually were able to send someone to collect 'Cor', but it took 2 hrs... enough time for Cor and I to get to know each other better. Was a mellow bird, allowing me to sit right next to him, while we waited. In the meantime, I enjoyed the evening and being the day's Cormorant Crossing Guard ! LOL !
Ride On
Yuri

I've got that same jersey!

I encountered a confused cormorant years ago like that, and did the same thing. Shuffled the poor thing off the bike path so no one would run into it.