View Single Post
Old 04-24-24, 09:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,119 Times in 2,750 Posts
Originally Posted by vt1565
A quick update -- so I visited a local bicycle shop that specializes in e-bikes and purchased an upgraded freewheel, based on the suggestion of several replies here. This made sense to me since the first one was already shot, I didn't want to get a warranty freewheel and have this happen again. The new one is an 11-28 vs the 14-28 tooth (supposed to help with the 'ghost pedaling') and is a little heavier duty. It felt like a much higher quality part, and there was zero play between the cassette/cogs and the inner body (shaft?) that threads onto the hub.

I removed the old freewheel and the threads looked fine, so I'm thinking the bearings were indeed ground down or the freewheel was just cheap and of poor quality. I cleaned up and greased the threads (per a number of youtube videos I watched), then threaded on the new freewheel. It feels much better already, shifted better, and had less noise before any adjustments other than some minor adjustments to the barrel adjuster.

I'm working on setting the H limit screw, indexing, and L limit screws -- should have that done tomorrow. I ran out of daylight, but it's already much better. I think I just need to fine tune it and see how the shifting feels.

Thank you again, everyone! I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it turned out once everything is adjusted properly and tested further.
You should save your bill and send that to someone (that someone being the OEM or who you bought from). DO NOT take the cost of fixing their problems on yourself, while that is what they want you to do because they really would rather you not bother them, they should be covering it. It is one thing if you have had the bike for a while but a new bike that is unacceptable and you needed to get it fixed and they should be paying you back for the freewheel and labor to get your e-moped fixed.