View Single Post
Old 04-25-24, 08:22 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett;[url=tel:23223103
23223103]today was Not a Good Day.

drove an hour to sell my very clean, original owner, 50k miles Honda s2000. I get there and the guy says the carfax shows it was stolen in 2004. he says his mechanic wants $250 more to inspect it more thoroughly because he has to make sure of a million things that could have happened 20 years ago. the car has never been stolen. I spend an hour going through various games of phone tree torture to finally find out that my insurance carrier in 2004 mis categorized a claim for a stolen accessory - a hard top which was taken from my garage - as the entire vehicle being stolen.

there is no way to speak to carfax in person. insurance agency has no records from that long ago. they suggested I call Lexis-Nevis to work on getting it corrected. now I’ve wasted several hours, $20 in gas, and an awful lot of frustration for an issue that is absolutely a mistake on someone else’s part. filed a corrrection report with carfax, waiting to see if they respond. I’ll also say that the fact that I have the original manual, title, records, shop manual, photos of the car over the last 20 years, etc etc etc. I also have to say that whatever his mechanic said, the buyer hearing firsthand on the phone that the record begins “customer’s hard top was stolen from garage” and speaking to another highly reputable independent mechanic who checked the extensively and gave it a clean bill of health could have been enough. but no, he wanted me to agree to sell it to him and them resolve the carfax and then have it checked out. no thanks. so annoying.

/rant
I bought a used car with full service records. It was stolen. The service records were forged. And I picked it up from the very dealer whose records had been forged. In Mexico, where car theft is possibly the number two industry in the country. Nothing but new henceforth.
My lawyer told me there are entire used car lots that only deal in stolen cars.