Old 04-25-24, 08:51 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,414 Posts
[QUOTE=penlu;23223394]I have a chest strap HRM -- the Polar H10. I just use it with Polar Beat on my phone, which also gets GPS data, though my phone's GPS seems to often be a little noisy. When I ride I just start the tracking and stick my phone in my pocket; I currently have no practical way to actually look at any of this information unless I'm stopped.<snip>

The whole point of instrumenting oneself is real time information. Yep, get a Garmin. I've always purchased my Garmins used on ebay 'cause I'm cheap. Riders upgrade and sell their old unit. Anything from an 800 on up. I just bought a 1030 there, upgrading from my ancient 800. Very happy with the device - much easier to read especially on a sunny day. I see there is a "renewed" 1030 on Amazon for about what I paid for mine on ebay. Snap it up. Yes, Garmins are expensive but you really get your money's worth out of them through more and better riding. You'll also need Garmin speed and cadence sensors and a bike mount to affix it to your bars.