Thread: Lock it UP
View Single Post
Old 04-25-24, 02:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4453 Post(s)
Liked 4,117 Times in 2,749 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Sheldon Brown recommended two locks of different kinds so the thief would need two different tools. (That advice came from the era when battery-powered angle grinders were not as ubiquitous as today.)

Two locks? Are you crazy?

Hey, I can't assess your security environment. A fellow with a cycling organization in London said in two decades he'd never heard of anyone using the two-lock method getting their bike stolen.

Anyway, if anyone is actually concerned about lock-picking bike theft, use two locks requiring two different picking tools and techniques.
Yes two or sometimes three locks and no not crazy at all. Couldn't be less crazy (at least on this issue) Making your bike less of a target and harder to steal means they will move on to the easier to steal bike.

Of course the bike I am talking about is an 11k Bosch equipped electric bicycle but even on my regular bikes for long term lock ups always two locks. Ideally yes different locks to give you more flexibility and a difference in getting in.

However in the end a bike can get stolen with any number or locks and your lock is only as strong as your weakest point. I have seen enough people with big heavy duty u-locks locking to a chainlink fence.
Likes For veganbikes: