Old 04-25-24, 03:48 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,224 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I’ll take your word for it, because as I said, I’m only vaguely familiar. I may also be ascribing Allen’s thoughts to Coggan since they co-authored Training and Racing with a Power Meter, and I know from Allen’s Power blog that he said , “It is still useful to measure your body’s response to training and to compare heart rate with power data.”

https://www.hunterallenpowerblog.com...-rate.html?m=1

I also wonder if there’s not a distinction to made between elite athlete’s training regimens and amateurs in regard to HR monitoring, and if maybe one or the other of those guys may have been drawing on that? Personally, and in part because of chronic arthritis pain, RPE for me is not really useful in training, because I often think I’m dying even when I’m in low HR zones! Having HR is a visible reminder that I can keep pushing through the pain and get to a place where the training impulse is impactful
There are many areas where Hunter and Andy have agreed to disagree. That book is sort of "you write that chapter, I'll write this one, and we'll bind them up together." One pretty clear example is that Hunter was the advocate for the 20 minute FTP test--Andy disavows it. The usefulness of HR when combined with power (and RPE) is another area where they differ. I try not to have deeply entrenched opinions on this but I am aware that "views differ."
Likes For RChung: