View Single Post
Old 04-25-24, 08:44 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Sure. Why talk about actual tires when theoretical ones are so much more interesting?
I was discussing it because you brought it up. Specifically, your objection to a point in my first post is where the circular-arc tire approximation entered the thread:
Originally Posted by Kontact
The cross section is a hoop, and a wider rim adds to that hoop's circumference. If the tire gets 2mm wider, it will get at least 1mm taller.
Although it's not a very accurate model, I think it's fun and interesting to talk about, and a good comprehension of it is handy for understanding why tire height and width changes how it does with changing rim width. Although the edge cases that I described are not realistic, they are illustrative because they can be visualized very easily: most people with a high-school education are good enough with geometry to understand that the circle and semicircle have the same height and arc length. Computing the scaling of width and height in the intermediate cases requires significantly more complex math, but most people can intuitively visualize them once they understand the two bounding cases that I showed.

At any rate, I don't think we actually have a lot of disagreement on the original matter that I was addressing (i.e cyclezen's statement being wrong).