View Single Post
Old 04-26-24, 04:36 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
"Freewheels and freehubs are both mechanisms on bicycles that allow riders to coast while riding. The main difference between the two is that a freewheel's coasting mechanism is built into the gear cluster, while a freehub's coasting mechanism is a sub-assembly of the wheel's hub. Freehubs are more reliable and efficient than freewheels, and allow for faster cassette swapping."

It could possibly be a freehub (after further analysis), but it's still not possible to simply remove a freehub and replace it with a cassette. They're not simply upgradable, as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong here...
​​​​
IIRC, 5 speed freewheels back in the day were fairly swappable, similar thickness and same threading onto hub, though I could be way wrong about that, I only used a couple and never replaced.

With freehubs and cassettes, they are easily swapped, If and Only If, the two are compatible. I began with Uniglide 7 speed, high cog threaded, no lockring. Next set of wheels had freehub threads outside and inside, to accommodate UG and Hyperglide with lockring. Then the next set of wheels came with a bit longer freehub body, probably 8 speed, wouldn't fit in my 126mm dropouts, so I put the old freehub body on the new wheels. Now, my mid-00s Dahon 7 speed, the hyperglide freehub body is as short as Uniglide, but has a shoulder on the end to allow 11T small cog. If I want to upgrade to 8 speed (planned), I need to change the freehub body, 8 speed is very slightly longer. I think 8,9,10 bodies, maybe even 11, all use the same length body, just the cogs and spacers get skinnier. I know sheldon brown has a whole section on this.