View Single Post
Old 04-26-24, 07:44 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My response was completely relevant. The OP was pondering why some recommendations are for shorter days. My response simply stated that riding a trail, that I consider gravel (I don't really care what you call it), often times shows you riding at a slower pace than riding on asphalt. Thus more time required to cover 60 miles. That is completely relevant to the OP.
Seems almost certain you’ve never rode it.

Again, a big part of “recommending” shorter days is because that advice is for much less experienced and more casual and slower riders.

Which is a thing you and others keep ignoring.

Another important aspect of “recommending” shorter days is how much time is spent off the bike. If the OP plans on riding more of a brevet style, he’s not likely to be spending much time off the bike.

And, while it’s is a slower surface, it’s not enough slower to not do 60-75 mile days. Especially, for an experienced rider used to doing much longer days.

———————————————

Searches suggest that typical average speeds are 8-12 mph. For 75 miles: at 8 mph, that’s 9.4 hours riding; at 12 mph, it’s 6.3 hours riding.

Unless the OP is on the slow side, that the surface is slower doesn’t seem relevant to his plans at all.

https://www.greateskape.com/blog/fktthegapco

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-26-24 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For njkayaker: