View Single Post
Old 04-26-24, 07:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3214 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearson100
On closer inspection of how the bag attaches to my bike, I see that the daisy-chain does not point straight ahead so a light with clip (hook!) will not work (unlike the photo at the company website where the daisy-chain does point straight ahead). I use the light to be seen, not to ride in the dark..

The issue with attaching a light to the handlebar around the bag straps is that the cables interfere with either the light straps fitting around the bars, or prevents light from pointing straight. There is no hole on the fork crown and in any case, there is not enough space between the bottom of the bag and the tire. (I have a very small bike).

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time to help.
The aforementioned Specialized Stix are what you want to be working with here, for sure. They're light and compact, and very bright, so ideal for non-standard placement jimmying.

I use velcro to attach Stix to the headtube on one bike-- and have done so since '15-- and to the front of the stem on my son's bike; they're light enough that the velcro (or DuoTec) holds fast and securely.

You could attach a square of Velcro/DuoTec to the front of the bag, and another to the Stix and just pop it on. I'm not certain of the adhesive strength of the velcro on the fabric bag, so you might want to use a supplemental adhesive. I cannot recommend one, but a little Google shoulld provide some insight. Or, it may not be necessary; there are some heavy duty self-adhesive hook-and-loop out there, like the 3M DuoTec which I have been using lately. Or, if you're handy with a needle and thread, a few stitches on the bag piece would do the job.

You said the bike was small, but if you have some exposed head tube below the bag, a piece of velcro will put you in business in seconds. The Stix can be oriented perpendicularly or horizontally, so options there.

Other than that, Stix come with rubber band seatpost mounts, and you may be able to fit one of those to the leg of your fork, or maybe even the crown. If the fork leg is wide enough, you might even be able to use velcro there.

Years ago, Tacx made handlebar end lights which replaced the end plug. I have a pair on my mini-velo. They're decent, but no longer available (except maybe NOS somewhere). More importantly, they suggest to me thatt you might be able to rig up a mount solution for Stix in that same way, say by securing a short, slim bracket to the end plug. Maybe it could be mounted between the bar and the plug cover, or if thin enough, inserted between the expander and the inside of the bar. Turning the exposed end-- only need about1"-- down, perpendicular to tthe road, you could use the ol' velcro and Stix trick to get forward firing light. Definitely a hack, but...

Last edited by chaadster; 04-26-24 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Photos added